Shredded Salsa Chicken
Often, I get asked what I do for meals to keep up a Paleo lifestyle because it can be "so hard." The concept of Paleo can be intimidating for anyone, especially if you aren't used to cooking (which I wasn't), you eat microwaveable meals everyday for lunch (I did) or you happen to eat out for every meal (I see you Taco Bell!) If you ask me for input, one of the first recommendations I will make, for anyone, is to get a good slow cooker.
Is it OK to quote Shakespeare when I'm talking about my slow-cooker? Because if so, I'm about to go all, "how do I love thee? Let me count the ways." It will solve all of your problems, really! Alright, so maybe it won't find your missing blue sock or magically tame that one annoying hair, but it will ease your mind.
You say you aren't good at cooking? It's a one pot stop. Throw a bunch of ingredients in and watch magic happen. You don't want to cook every day? Ok, make dishes in bulk batches. You always eat microwaveable meals? Good! All of those leftovers have to be reheated somehow, right?
Besides the ease and convenience you can get from a slow cooker, if you are like me, you'll love the results. I've found that some of my favorite meals make use of it. This includes my 4 Herb Chicken, Nom Nom Paleo's Kalua Pig and this next recipe I have for you...Shredded Salsa Chicken!
Slow Cooker Shredded Salsa Chicken
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 6-8 hours
2 lbs chicken breast
1 lg green pepper, diced
1 med onion, diced
16oz jar chunky salsa + optional extra
½ tsp chili powder
salt + pepper to taste
- Pour a very thin layer of salsa on the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Sprinkle both sides of your chicken breasts with salt and then place in the slow cooker.
- Toss the green pepper, onion and remainder of salsa on top of the chicken. Evenly sprinkle the chili powder, salt and pepper across the top.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Using two forks, shred the chicken inside the slow cooker. Then, stir to evenly combine the ingredients.
- Serve by itself, on a bed of lettuce or as a taco!