A few weeks ago, we spent the weekend in Cleveland visiting friends. On Saturday morning, a few of us whipped up a massive brunch. Since I am convinced there is never too much breakfast food, I decided to add to the hash, quiche, fresh fruit, bacon and sausage that was already on the menu by making some pancakes. That morning, I was all about experimenting and just threw ingredients together in a bowl, closed my eyes and prayed something good came out of it all.
The results were a billion times better than I could have imagined. Don't be fooled by the consistency. The batter is easy to mix and will mix up to be a bit thicker than traditional pancake batter, but once you make them, you'll see that the pancakes will have the same fluffy, airy texture as traditional pancakes. So much so, that non-paleo and/or non-gluten free eaters won't be able to tell the difference. To quote one friend, "wait, these are paleo?"
Perfectly Fluffy Pancakes [Gluten Free, Paleo]
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 15-20 mins
Yields: 12-15 pancakes (3-4" diameter)
6 lg eggs, whisked
1 cup coconut flour
1 cup tapioca flour
1 ¼ cup + 3 tbs non-dairy milk (coconut preferred)
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
2 tsp baking powder
¼ cup coconut sugar
1 tsp vanilla
¼ tsp sea salt
Optional Strawberry Topping:
6 strawberries + addtl
3 tbs coconut or other non-dairy milk
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl and all wet ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Pour wet into dry and gradually combine until your batter is well mixed. It will be a bit thicker than traditional pancake batter. If needed, add an additional tablespoon of your milk.
- Melt oil in a skillet on the stove on low-med heat. Be sure you use a pan that you can put a lid on.
- Take 1/4 cup batter and place it on your skillet. Shake lightly or use the back of a spoon to spread your batter out a bit. If you have room, feel free to make more than 1 pancake at a time, but be careful not to crowd the pan.
- Cover your skillet with a lid and cook until bubbles begin to form on top. Use a spatula to flip your pancake. Cook for an additional 30 seconds before removing from the pan. Continue until you have used all batter.
- For optional strawberry topping, muddle strawberries and combine with 3 tbs coconut milk. Add an additional strawberry and muddle if it is too thin for your liking. Plate your pancakes and add your strawberry topping. For extra flair, add a few extra sliced strawberries!