Pumpkin Pecan Brownies
I've started working out in the mornings. 3-4 days a week I roll out of bed and head to workout. Literally, roll. I once read somewhere that if you sleep in your workout clothes, it makes it easier to get up in the AM because you "have no excuses." Well, my mind and body can come up with about A BILLION reasons to snooze instead, so I'm going to have to call BS. That being said, my favorite workout has quickly become my 7am SWEAT Chicago class. Tabata Tuesday.. hollllaaaaa! On the days I don't SWEAT, I go to the gym down the road. While I love my sleep, they (mysterious people of the internet) were right. It's unbelievably satisfying to have my workout in before 8am. Who the hell am I am what did I do with Katie?! Another bonus of working out in the AM is that I can eat one of these brownies for breakfast and it's totally cool because my metabolism is working and whatnot. Ah, there's Katie again!
These Pumpkin Brownies are super easy to make and well worth it. After a few attempts, the flavor combination and texture are now perfect. Slightly fudgy and not too sweet. The pecans and chocolate chips add a great crunch. Serve warm or chilled (my preferred way!)
PS - These bars are lovingly referred to as "Oober Goober Bars" by Kyle. Feel free to join in this movement.
Pumpkin Pecan Brownies
Prep Time: 5 mins|
Cook Time: 35-40 mins
Yields: 12-16 Bars Wet Ingredients:
¾ cup pure pumpkin
2 tbs almond butter
¼ cup butter/ghee or coconut oil, melted
1 egg, whisked
½-¾ cup coconut sugar
¾ cup almond flour
½ cup tapioca starch/flour
2 ½ tsp cinnamon
1 tsp each: nutmeg & ground ginger
½ tsp each: ground cloves & allspice
½ cup chopped pecans
½ cup Enjoy Life chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease an 8x8 baking dish with coconut oil.
- Mix together all dry ingredients, except for pecans & chocolate chips, in a large bowl .
- In a separate, smaller bowl, combine all wet ingredients.
- Mix wet ingredients into dry until well combined. Fold in the chopped pecans & chocolate chips.
- Pour brownie mix into your baking dish & use a spatula to ensure it is spread evenly.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes. Then, remove from oven & let cool completely before cutting & serving.
- Store leftovers in an air tight container in the fridge for up to several days, but they will probably all be eaten in the first day.
Notes: Instead of the combination of spices above, you can substitute in 1 ½ tbs pumpkin pie spice.