Sun-Dried Tomato & Basil Pesto Zoodles
Every once in awhile I get a craving for a pasta-like dish. I love baked spaghetti squash but that always feels like it takes forever. It's a pretty hands-off meal, but I don't always want to wait the 40 minutes while it cooks. This is when zucchini comes to my rescue.
Zucchini noodles (aka zoodles) might be the greatest idea on the planet. They take 10 minutes to make and I can have a full meal while only dirtying one pan. Now, if you've ever heard my ramblings of why tomatoes are the most disgusting addition to any meal, in any form, you're probably confused as to why I am willingly adding some to this dish. Well you know what, I'M CONFUSED TOO. They have a nice little balance between acidity and sweetness and don't taste anything like tomatoes to me. I'm actually perfectly content eating them on their own (is that gross?) but this time they are paired with zoodles.
Since I don't like tomatoes (sun-dried being the exception obviously,) pesto is the star of this dish. I use my 5 minute dairy-free pesto, because.. well, it's good and it takes 5 minutes. Toss in chicken when I feel like it or eat it protein free.
Now, instead of going off go to ponder life or the anomaly that is my taste for tomatoes, take 10 minutes to make this dish. You won't regret it.
Sun-Dried Tomato & Basil Pesto Zoodles (Dairy Free, Paleo)
Time: 30 mins
Yields: 3-4 servings
3-4 large zucchini
1 cup 5-minute dairy free pesto *more or less to taste
½ cup sun-dried tomatoes
¼ tsp sea salt +addtl to taste
¾ lb baked chicken *optional
- Bake chicken to your liking, if using.
- Using a spiralizer or julienne peeler, turn your zucchini into noodles. Leaving the skin on is optional.
- Melt 1-2 tablespoons of oil in a large pan on low-med heat. Toss in your zucchini noodles and cover. Allow to cook about 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until done to your liking.
- Remove from the heat (but leave it in the pan) and add in salt. Then, mix in your pesto. This is done to your liking, so start with part of the batch first and then continue to add.
- Mix in the sun-dried tomatoes. You can mix in the chicken, if used, now or add it to the top of the pesto during serving.