I, like the majority of the US, overindulged on Thanksgiving. I'm pretty confident that I ate enough food (all paleo!) for a small army to survive through winter. Before doing this all over again at Christmas, I'm using these next few weeks to get back on track by eating more veggies and less sweets. I'll be starting off with this(nutritionally) loaded Veggie Chowder.
Prep Time: 10 mins|
Cook Time: 1.5-2 hours
Servings: 6-8 Ingredients:
3 ½ - 4 cups broccoli florets
4 stalks celery
1 lg white or yellow onion
2 lg or 3 med carrots
2 lg leeks
3 ½ cups broth (chicken, veg. or bone)
1 can coconut milk, full-fat
1 ½ tsp minced garlic (3 cloves)
2 tsp each: dried oregano, dried basil
1 tsp marjoram
1 tsp salt +addtl to taste
½ tsp each: pepper, garlic powder
Optional: 1½ lb cubed cooked chicken or turkey
- Dice all veggies, keeping the leeks separated from the rest.
- In a soup pot, melt 2 tbs coconut oil on low-med heat. Stir in garlic and saute for a couple minutes until fragrant.
- Add in veggies (except for leeks) and saute for 15 mins, stiring frequently, until they start to become tender.
- In a separate pan, melt 1 tbs coconut oil on medium heat. Saute leeks in this pan, stiring frequently, until they become tender.
- Pour your leeks, broth, milk and all seasoning into a large blender and process until well combined. It should only take about 1 min.
- Once the soup pot veggies have started to soften a bit, pour the broth into the pot and stir well to combine.
- Turn the heat to low and simmer uncovered for 1-2 hours. The longer you allow this to simmer, the more the flavors will develop. If you are adding in chicken or turkey, do this 30 minutes before you are done simmering.
- Store leftovers airtight in the fridge for up to 1 week.