The weekend before last, Kyle took a train to Michigan to bond with his dad and uncles over manly things (it was the opening of deer season). While being alone usually sucks, I seized this opportunity and spent those 24 hours working on new recipes. This next recipe is one of them and I'm ecstatic to share it with you!
One of my favorite things to do is wander grocery stores, particularly Whole Foods. The variety of products and the size of the store may be overwhelming to some, but I love it. For weeks, I eyed these beautiful pasture raised, andouille sausages at the meat counter. I finally found the perfect opportunity to showcase them in this dish. Featuring a unique base of parsnips, this casserole is chocked full of fresh veggies. Nutritional yeast, a vegan cheese alternative, adds a light "cheesy" crunch on top.
Now, who's ready for some dinner?
Prep Time: 25 mins
Cook Time: 35 mins
1 lb Andouille sausage, diced
2 med parsnips, peeled & thinly sliced
6 celery stalks, diced
1 sm onion (yellow or sweet), diced
6-8 oz mushrooms, diced
1 cup spinach, chopped
1 egg, whisked
2 tbs butter/ghee (preferred) or oil
Additional oil for skillet
1-2 tsp cajun seasoning *More = spicier
1 ½ tsp garlic
1 ½ tsp paprika
salt & pepper to taste
nutritional yeast *optional
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Separate 2 tbs butter into eighths and place it across the bottom of a 9x13 glass dish.
- Spread the parsnips across the bottom of your baking dish, making sure to slightly overlap the pieces and cover the bottom completely.
- On the stove, melt 1 tbs coconut oil in a pan. Then add in the sausage and saute on med heat for 5 mins, stirring occasionally so no piece burns.
- Add in all veggies, except the spinach, and saute for 5 mins until they begin to soften.
- Stir in the spinach and continue cooking until it begins to wilt. Turn off the burner.
- Mix the whisked egg and seasonings into the veggie/meat combination and pour this on top of the parsnip layer.
- Sprinkle nutritional yeast across the top of your dish. *optional
- Set timer and bake for 35 mins before removing from the oven.
- Let the dish rest for 10 mins before cutting to serve.