4 Herb Chicken
Getting home from work and having dinner ready to go makes me one happy gal. For this reason, the slow cooker is one of my all-time favorite kitchen appliances. I set up our weekly meal plan every Sunday and always plan to have a slow cooker dish one of the days (then I get to look forward to lazy evening!)
Chicken recipes are great because they are usually "set it and forget it." Yes, I enjoy my roasts just as much as the next person; however, to really seal in the flavor that usually means I will need to sear the sides. At 6am that is not high on my priority list. This whole chicken recipe involves tossing some herbs on it, along with a few tablespoons of butter/ghee... and that's about it!
If you are looking for an easy meal, to have a lazy day or just want something really tasty, this savory Slow Cooker Chicken is your answer!
Slow Cooker 4 Herb Chicken
Time: 6-8 hrs
3-4lb whole chicken, giblets removed
4-5 garlic cloves, whole
4 tbs butter or ghee, divided
1 ½ tsp salt
1 tsp + ¼ tsp each Marjoram, Rosemary, Basil, Herbs de Provence
⅓ cup chicken broth
- Rinse chicken and pat dry with paper towel.
- Cut a slit through the skin in the middle of the breast and tuck 1 tbs of butter/ghee between the skin and meat on each side.
- In a small bowl, mix together salt and 1 tsp of each herb.
- Coat chicken on both sides (in all nooks and crannys) with your herb mixture. Be sure to get underneath the wings.
- Insert garlic cloves and remaining 2 tbs of butter/ghee inside the chicken cavity. Sprinkle the remaining ¼ tsp of each herb in there as well.
- Pour your chicken broth into the base of the slow cooker.
- Gently place the chicken inside the slow cooker *Optional: use kitchen twine to tie the legs together
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours