Slow Cooker Caramelized Squash Soup (Vegan, Whole30)
Creamy, savory soup made with caramelized butternut squash, celery + carrots. Made in a slow cooker, it's Whole30, Vegan and Paleo friendly.
I don't know how it happens, but every year for the last 3 years, Kyle has managed to escape Chicago during the coldest week. I swear, he leaves to go somewhere warm and Mother Nature decides to turn the entire city into an ice sculpture with negative temps. There's nothing that can make you grumpy quite like freezing your ass off knowing your boyfriend is in 80 degree sunshine. Although, I can't complain too much. Living the single life means that I get caught up on all my Netflix shows, snuggle my dog and get to recipe test uninterrupted! And now that I've typed this, I realize just how much of an adult I have become. Good lord, my life has changed dramatically since college. Further evidence. The other night I had a ladies' night with my friend, Jeana. On Tuesday, she officially entered her "mid-twenties" so being the expert that I am, I was there to provide her all the necessary emotional support (and wine) to get her through the moment. We spent the evening watching a British reality show, gossiping and comforting ourselves with my flatbread pizza. Really getting wild and crazy around here.
Having the house to myself means I get full to take full advantage of trashing the kitchen every night for new recipes. I figured it could get a head start on some freezer meals and dinners for the next few weeks and also get some material for the blog. You know, two birds, one stone. One of the recipes I tested out was this Slow Cooker Caramelized Squash Soup. I had every intention of taking just a spoonful or two to make sure it was good to go and somehow I ended up eating two bowls. So, that's probably a good thing.
I've tried my fair share of butternut squash soups and I must say, this one is pretty spectacular. To set it apart from other recipes right away, I caramelized the squash and onions. For caramelizing, I really like to use butter when I do this, but you can easily use ghee or coconut oil if you are dairy free. Once you've finished caramelizing, the hardest part of the recipe is done. After that, you combine the squash, onions, celery, carrots and broth. I toss it all into a slow cooker, because easy Paleo soups are a favorite of mine, but if you have some extra time on your hand and really want to, then you can make this on the stove as well.
For seasonings, I like to use Primal Palate Adobo seasoning, but I know that not everyone has access to that seasoning or may not prefer it, so I also tested it out with common herbs/spices and made sure to find the perfect ratio of flavor from those as well. Once you have all your seasonings in with the veggies and broth, you cook your soup per the directions below. Then blend it all together and serve it! I top mine with a little dollop of coconut cream but that's entirely optional as well. And there you have it - a super easy, vegan and Whole30 slow cooker soup recipe. This filling, flavorful twist on squash soup is enough to eat for dinner or you can have it as a first course at dinner. I like to make mine around the holidays for that exact reason, but I'm curious to know if you are too!
- 4 cups butternut squash, cubed
- 1 lg sweet onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 lg carrots, chopped
- 3 tbs butter, ghee or oil
- 2 cups broth
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp Primal Palate Adobo seasoning *SEE NOTES
- 1/2 tsp rosemary
- 1/2 tsp salt + addtl to taste
- 1/2-1 tbs coconut cream per serving to top
1. Melt your butter in a saute pan on med heat. Add in your squash and onions. Stir to prevent sticking and saute 5-10 mins until the sides have browned a bit.2. Transfer to a slow cooker, adding in remaining veggies, seasonings, broth & garlic. Cook for 3-4 hours on low until veggies are tender. Using an immersion or full-size blender, cream together until the soup is smooth.3. Laddle into bowls for serving. Add 1/2-1 tbs of coconut cream to the top and gently stir in before enjoying.
1. Melt your butter in a stock pot on med heat. Add in your squash and onions. Stir to prevent sticking and saute 5-10 mins until the sides have browned a bit.2. Turn heat down to low-med and add in the remaining veggies and garlic. Saute for an additional 10 mins stirring frequently until they start to become slightly soft. Add in broth and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Then allow to simmer for 45-60 minutes until veggies are fully tender. Using an immersion or full-size blender, cream together until the soup is smooth.3. Laddle into bowls for serving. Add 1/2-1 tbs of coconut cream to the top and gently stir in before enjoying.
NOTE: If you don't have the adobo seasoning, substitute 1 tsp oregano, 1/2 tsp onion powder + 1/2 tsp turmeric