Updated post May 24, 2017;
Recipe originally posted Dec. 11, 2015
Dairy Free Hashbrown Casserole
Total Time: 1 hour
Yields: 6-8 slices
4 cups shredded parsnips (5-6 lg)
1 lb sugar-free breakfast sausage
10 LG or 8 XL free range eggs
1 cup coconut milk, full fat
½ cup chopped yellow/sweet onion
2 tbs tapioca starch
1 tbs oil/ghee
1 tsp salt
½ tsp each: garlic powder, dried basil
¼ tsp each: onion powder, ground sage, black pepper
2 lg tbs nutritional yeast or ¼ cup shredded cheese *Optional
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Shred your parsnips using a food processor or hand grater.
- Brown sausage on stove on medium heat. Salt and pepper the meat to your liking. Once completely cooked through, set aside and clean out any excess fat from the pan.
- Melt 1 tbs oil or ghee in the same pan. Saute the parsnips and onion, covered, for 5 mins. Stir occasionally.
- In the meantime, crack your eggs into a large bowl and whisk.
- Stir in your coconut milk, nutritional yeast (or cheese) and the herbs/seasonings.
- When the parsnips and onion are done, add them and the meat to the bowl and combine.
- Pour mixture into a lightly greased 4 quart casserole dish.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes until completely cooked
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week. This dish reheats very well!
Notes: If you use a regular baking dish, your casserole will cook quicker. Be sure to start checking on it 30-35 minutes in!