Healthy Grain Free Taco Bowls (Whole30)
These Grain Free Taco Bowls are healthy and so full of flavor you won't even miss the shell. This easy to make meal will become a new Taco Tuesday favorite for the whole family.
I have been testing various versions of this recipe for 6 months. Initially starting out as a lasagna, then moving to a casserole, before finally settling on a bowl. I declare a recipe to be a success when I make it a few times in one month. I'd say it's a damn masterpiece when I make it weekly for two months. This, my friends, is a Van Gogh. We make this every other week and I have yet to get even the slightest bit tired of it.
I LOVE tacos, but I'm super lazy about making Paleo friendly tortillas. And since I never want to do that, the only time I end up eating them is when I decide to splurge somewhere that has gluten free corn tortilla shells or Siete tortillas. With the mouthwatering #tacotuesday trend, that's overtaken instagram, I've been craving them more and more lately. So I guess you could credit social media with giving me the inspiration/motivation for this dish. Since I don't use tortilla shells of any kind very frequently, I was on a mission to make an epic grain free, healthy taco option.
These taco bowls are simple to make but pack a punch of flavor. I use a slightly seasoned base of sweet potato, pepper and onions that balance perfectly with the taco meat. The meat itself carries flavor from taco seasoning with an added punch of green chiles which round it out so nicely. I like to top with some jalapeno for added spice, but if you are someone who can handle extra heat then I'd say add it throughout the dish. Tossing in some hot sauce (like my favorite, Frank's) is also a really great idea. Oh and if you receive a gift from God in the form of a perfectly ripe avocado...throw some slices on it. It's the ultimate topper and you won't regret it in the slightest.
Whenever I make this recipe, it makes a hefty amount, especially if you use sweet potatoes that are the size of a basketball. This grain free taco bowl is really filling, so I eat one bowl and I'm stuffed. My boyfriend tends to eat 1.5 or 2 bowls every time we make it. That's why there's a difference in the amount of servings. I could make this recipe into 6 whereas it would be about 4 for him.
If you like, feel free to double (or even triple!) this recipe. I love doubling it to use all week long. If you're not sure that you'd want a straight taco bowl every night for dinner you can also mix up how you serve it. Personally, I think it makes an excellent breakfast bowl if you want to serve it with a fried egg. If you really like tacos, you could also take the leftovers and turn it into taco filling!
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 cans diced green chiles
- to taste taco seasoning
- 3 large sweet potatoes, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1/2 red or white onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded & diced
- 2 tsp + addtl to taste salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Avocado *optional for serving
- Jalapeno slices *optional for serving
2. In separate pan, begin browning your ground beef.
3. After 10 mins, remove the lid from your sweet potatoes and add in the peppers, onions & jalapeno (if using). Continue to cook for another 15 mins or until your veggies have softened. Stir frequently to avoid burning.
4. Once your beef is fully cooked, drain out the fat and return the beef to it's pan. Add in your taco seasoning, green chiles and about 1/4 cup of water. Allow to simmer, stirring occasionally, until the water is fully absorbed.
5. While meat is simmering, add salt, onion powder and garlic powder to the sweet potato mixture. Stir to combine and then turn your heat to low and leave it on the stove until your meat is done.
6. Combine meat into your sweet potato mixture and stir.
7. Scoop into a bowl and serve with a few slices of jalapeno or avocado!