Low Carb Crispy Seasoned Jicama Fries
These crispy, crunchy Low Carb Seasoned Jicama Fries are the perfect alternative to the traditional white potato french fry. Curb your craving with this healthier, baked alternative. Just 10g of carbs per serving!
Hands down, my favorite side to any meal at a restaurant is french fries. I equate biting down into warm, crunchy french fries to biting into a small piece of heaven. That bit of heaven though is almost always fried in bad oils, involves eating a sh*t ton of carbs and can just generally make me feel slightly greasy and gross. My solution to this has been making lower carb alternatives at home, that are just as crunchy and just as, if not more, flavorful.Jicama has become one of my favorite potato substitutes. I love using it to make breakfast "potatoes" in the slow cooker, eating it raw, turning it into fries - you name it!
The biggest complaint I hear of people trying to make fries at home is them not getting crisped up enough. Short of frying them in tons of coconut oil (hello bank breaker!) it can be tough to get them just how you like them. When I first started using jicama as my substitute, I ran into a similar problem. They had the crunch I wanted, but weren't stiff enough to pick up with my fingers. And who doesn't love a good finger food?!
The trick with these sugar free seasoned jicama fries is to boil the jicama first, which will cook them before you bake them. After they're done boiling, you toss them in the seasoning, spread them onto a baking sheet (single layer!) and pop them in the oven. I cook them for about 40 minutes for the perfect crunch factor for me, but you can keep them in a bit longer or broil them for a few minutes before taking them out.
These low carb fries make the perfect side to my pork burger recipe but are also perfect to eat on their own! Pro-tip: if you're an aioli fan, dip these in some garlic aioli. You won't regret it.
- 1 lb jicama (I buy pre-sliced from Trader Joe's)
- 3 tbsp butter or oil
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1-2 tsp salt, depending on your preference
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- dash of paprika
- dash of black pepper
2. Peel & slice jicama into french fry shapes. I like buying pre-sliced jicama from Trader Joe's, which lets me bypass this step!
3. Bring jicama slices to boil in a pot on the stove. Allow to boil for 15 minutes. Then remove and pat dry.
4. Melt together your butter/oil and seasonings.
5. Toss jicama in seasoning mix until evenly coated.
6. Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake for 40 mins, flipping half way through.
7. Remove from oven when done. Let rest 3-4 minutes before serving.
Baking time may vary by oven. If the fries aren't crisped to your liking, continue to bake them. Check every 3-4 minutes.