Low Carb Loaded Cauliflower Mash (Keto)
Cheesy, creamy and filling...three words that perfectly describe this Low Carb Loaded Cauliflower Mash. This low carb take on a holiday classic will quickly make its way to the top of your must have dinner list.
I took a poll of some of my family recently of their favorite dish at Christmas time. Mine was always the twice baked potatoes my Mom or Aunt would make. Pretty much everyone I polled gave the same answer is me. That's because they are a delicious masterpiece and I would eat an entire pan of them and nothing else if I could. Unfortunately, they are very much not paleo. For starters, they are made with boxed potatoes. Yes, you can use real potatoes, but huge holiday meals already take a ton of work so that shortcut is much easier. This year, I wanted to create a recipe that would give me the taste I missed from my favorite dish, would be a healthier option and would be easy to make. This low carb loaded cauliflower mash was the result.
This side dish is an ideal replacement for my beloved twice baked potatoes for so many reasons. Instead of using carb heavy potatoes, it's made with cauliflower which is a perfect low carb alternative. To keep the simplicity of the boxed potato mix, these are made with frozen cauliflower which means there's no chopping up fresh cauliflower until you have enough. Plus, once the cauliflower is steamed and the bacon is cooked, all you have to do is mix everything together, toss it in a casserole dish and bake it. You could even use pre-cooked bacon (like Trader Joe's pre-cooked uncured bacon) to make it that much easier.
On top of the ease of this recipe, it's damn delicious. Sour cream and broth give it a smooth and creamy texture. The bacon gives it a nice added crunch. And the cheese.. well, who doesn't love cheese?! This recipe can easily be adapted too. If you don't eat meat, sub in some vegan bacon. Or switch out the cheese to a vegan alternative. You can also trade out the sour cream for a plain, unsweetened non-dairy yogurt. Yes, these changes will alter the flavor a bit, but they're all great options to make this friendly to your dietary needs!
Another bonus: this recipe makes a TON of food. For a holiday side, it's good for 10 servings, depending on how many other options you serve with it. We used this mostly as a side dish, but it's so filling that I also ate it as a full meal twice, and we still got 7 servings out of it!
- 3 lbs frozen cauliflower
- 8 slices bacon, crumbled
- 1/2 cup (+ addtl for top) grass fed cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 oz organic sour cream
- 1/4 cup butter or ghee, softened
- 1/4 cup broth, veggie or chicken
- 3 tbsp (+ addtl for top) chives, chopped
- 2 tsp salt
2. Turn the oven to 350 degrees.
3. Steam frozen cauliflower following directions on bag.
4. When cauliflower is done, strain out any excess water. Then place in blender/food processor with sour cream, cheese, chives, butter, broth + salt. Remember to set aside some chives for sprinkling across the top.
5. Puree until smooth. Add in bacon crumbles, leaving some aside sprinkle across the top, and mix with a spoon until combined.
6. Pour the mixture into a lightly greased medium sized casserole dish. 7. Sprinkle additional cheese and remaining chives and bacon crumbles across the top of the cauliflower mash. Put in the oven to bake for ~10 minutes until the cheese has melted. If desired, broil for another 4-5 minutes to brown the top.
7. Remove and serve. Store airtight in the fridge for 5-7 days
Note: If you are making this ahead, prepare completely but do not bake. Place in oven to bake/warm before serving.