Pork Lover's Breakfast Casserole (Low Carb, Paleo)
Just 7 ingredients, this Pork Lover's Breakfast Casserole is easy to make, hearty + ideal for holiday mornings or breakfast anytime!
I absolutely love Thanksgiving and spending time with family, but it's usually a bit hectic for me. I know I'm not the only one that has to spend the day juggling multiple family events and eating 400x in the span of 3 hours. Well, this year, it's going to be a bit different for us. My family has gotten more spread out of the last couple years and with my new niece set to make her arrival in a month, my sister, brother-in-law and niece won't be coming into town. It breaks my heart not to see them, but it gives so much more flexibility in planning the day out and spending quality time with everyone.
I chatted with my mom the other night trying to work out our plans for the holiday and she brought it up to me that we don't HAVE to have dinner together. Just because that's how we've done it in the past doesn't mean that's how we have to do it this year and honestly, I'm a bit relieved now. Bouncing from an early afternoon dinner to a late afternoon dinner is stressful and physically uncomfortable from eating that much in such a short amount of time.
This year, we've talked over different options like dinner at one house and meeting for dessert at another. Or celebrating another day. Or breakfast with one family and dinner with another. If you've been here before, it should be no surprise to you that I loved that idea! Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day and I really enjoy coming up with new recipes for it. Whether it's my take on candied bacon, a paleo-friendly version of hashbrown casserole or updating an old family tradition like my Quiche Kathleen, I just can't get enough.
My latest breakfast creation is a perfect meal for any pork lovers out there. With just 7 ingredients, it's extremely easy to make, hearty and ideal for a holiday breakfast. Or really breakfast any time. You can even make it ahead and just pop it into the oven at a low temp to warm up in the morning. If you're a casserole fan, you'll love this! If you're not, you'll still love this!
PS - if you prefer some of these meats over the others, just replace the meat you don't like with some that you do!
- 1 lb breakfast sausage
- 10 oz bacon
- 5 oz canadian bacon or ham, chopped
- 12 eggs
- 2/3 cup coconut milk
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 5 oz spinach, chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
2. Lay bacon out on aluminum foil covered baking sheet. Place in oven and bake for 13-15 minutes (will vary based on oven) until it has crisped up.
3. While bacon is cooking, saute breakfast sausage in a cast iron or pan until cooked through.
4. Whisk eggs in a large bowl.
5. Add chopped spinach and chopped canadian bacon into whisked eggs.
6. When breakfast sausage is fully cooked, strain and then add to eggs.
7. Remove bacon from oven and crumble between sheets of paper towel. Add to bowl with rest of ingredients.
8. Pour some excess bacon fat into saute pan. Cook onions in the bacon fat until slightly brown and caramelized.
9. Add caramelized onions, salt and pepper into bowl.
10. Stir all ingredients until well combined.
11. Pour into a slightly greased 9x13 casserole dish.
12. Place in oven to bake for 30-35 minutes. Stick a toothpick in the center of the casserole to ensure it is done. If not, bake for an additional 5 mins and check again.
13. Remove from oven. Let rest for a few minutes. Slice & serve!