Slow Cooker Rosemary + Shallot Pot Roast (Whole30)
Warm up during cold months or simply take a break from cooking with this Slow Cooker Rosemary + Shallot Pot Roast. This healthy and hearty dish is full of veggies, protein and flavor.
I wanted to get this recipe posted ASAP for two main reasons. First, Christmas is exactly one week from today. Everyone's going to be busy with last minute holiday shopping, spending tons of time in the kitchen and pretty much running around like a maniac. So why not make it easier with an uber delicious slow cooker recipe for you?
This rosemary and shallot pot roast takes just 10 minutes to prepare before you can forget about it for the rest of the day. It's hearty, flavorful and the perfect size for a family dinner. With a 4 pound pot roast and tons of veggies, you have the makings of a huge, delicious meal! What I like best about it is that spread out on a serving platter, it looks pretty darn fancy too. If you're having a smaller Christmas gathering, you could definitely serve this up to the crowd. It'll help ease the stress of the day and get you spending more time with loved ones. And isn't that really what the season is about?
The second reason I wanted to get this up quickly is because we're speeding towards 2018. Like many others, I am going to start the new year with health on my mind. In particular, I'm going to be doing a January Whole 30. If you're not familiar with Whole 30, you can read up on the program on the official site here. Without going into too much detail, I'll basically be eating a stricter version of Paleo than I am. I'm very much about balance in life but my balance has become a bit more of over indulgence and it's having a negative affect on the fitness goals I'm trying to reach. My hope is that by cleaning up my diet a bit more with a Whole 30, I'll get back to sleeping better, have more energy and be able to make progress where I want.
This recipe is already sugar free, gluten free and paleo, but is can also be made Whole 30 friendly with one simple switch of an ingredient. It's a great recipe to include in your 2018 meal plans to help you on the path to meeting your goals whether that is for healthier meals, having more me time (not in the kitchen!) or making time for family dinners.
- 3.5-4 lbs chuck roast
- 6-8 (depending on size) shallots, quartered
- 8 oz cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 7 lg carrots, sliced
- 3 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 1 3/4 cups beef or veggie broth
- 1/4 cup red wine or broth(for Whole 30 compliance)
- salt, pepper, garlic powder
- 3 tbsp butter, ghee or oil
2. Melt butter/ghee/oil on medium/high in cast iron or other large saute pan.
3. Sear roast until slightly brown to seal in the seasonings. Flip and do the same to the other side
4. Place meat inside the slow cooker. Then, pour broth + wine in the slow cooker and across the meat.
5. Add veggies down the side of the roast and across the top. Sprinkle with salt again.
6. Cook for 6 hours on low. 7. Once done, remove rosemary sprigs. Scoop the veggies onto a serving platter, add the meat and pour a bit of broth across it all. Then, serve!