Sweet Potato Breakfast Stacks
I've realized that my favorite time to share new breakfast recipes with you guys is right before the weekend. Don't get me wrong. I love dishes that can be made ahead for the week so you can be lazy AF on early mornings, but nothing beats a weekend brunch. Sun shining, mimosa in hand and a big plate of savory food right in front of your face. Can you think of a better way to start your day?
A couple months ago, I watched an instagram story from Juli Bauer of PaleOMG where she showed how she fried her plantains. It was perfect. She used coconut oil in a pan but just enough to where it came up about halfway over her plantain. She would cook that side and then flip it so it still had the all over crisp. I loved that! Coconut oil can be expensive (buy this kind off Amazon to get a lot of quality for a little $$!) and I always wanted to "fry" something without having to completely submerge it and use soooo much oil. The method she showed uses less oil but still fries it nicely.
I decided to use her method when it came to the base of these breakfast stacks. These sweet potatoes fry up perfectly in the coconut oil. They have a nice crisper outside but are perfectly cooked inside. Season them with salt and garlic and you have the perfect breakfast sweet potato fries. The next part of the stack was the meat. I really love the breakfast pork sausage from Whole Foods. It has clean ingredients, is relatively inexpensive and has such a good flavor. A pound of it works perfectly to form 4 patties that fit nicely on these.
Of course, there is no other way to top off the ultimate brunch than a nicely fried egg. Although, if you aren't a yolk person, feel free to scramble the shit outta that egg before throwing it on top. Add a couple dashes of crushed red pepper and voila! You have a healthy, tasty brunch to serve up in a cute little stack.
Sweet Potato Breakfast Stacks
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 lb breakfast sausage
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- salt to taste
- crushed red pepper *optional
- coconut oil for frying
2. Soak in water for 1-2 hours to remove excess potato starch & help crisp up.
3. Once done soaking, take a shallow saute pan and melt a layer of coconut oil. It should cover the fry about 1/2 way up so needs to be 1/4-1/2 inch deep.
4.Fry the potatoes in the oil without crowding the pan. Be sure to flip so all sides get brown and crispy. It will take a minute or so each time you flip so keep a close eye to prevent them from burning. You will likely have to do 2 or 3 batches so set the done ones aside while working on the next.
5. While potatoes are frying, make the breakfast sausage into 4 thin patties. Cook in a separate saute pan, flipping half way through when they are a nice golden brown.
6. Fry eggs to your liking while the sausage is finishing up.
7. Now that the potatoes are done, you'll want to toss them with salt + garlic powder. Feel free to sample 1 or 4 to check the seasoning and add more if needed. Then, Separate the potatoes into four stacks.
8. Top each stack with a breakfast patty. Add the egg on top. Sprinkle some crushed red pepper if you like & serve!